Ruby is a dynamic, reflective, object-oriented, general-purpose programming language. Everything in Ruby is an object except the blocks but there are replacements too for it i.e procs and lambda. Ruby is a pure Object-Oriented language developed by Yukihiro Matsumoto. The objective of Ruby’s development was to make it act as a sensible buffer between human programmers and the underlying computing machinery.
Beginning with Ruby programming:
1. Finding a Compiler:
Before starting programming in Ruby, a compiler is needed to compile and run our programs. There are many online compilers that can be used to start Ruby without installing a compiler
There are many compilers available freely for compilation of Ruby programs.
2. Programming in Ruby:
To program in Ruby is easy to learn because of its similar syntax to already widely used languages.
Advantages of Ruby:
- The code written in Ruby is small, elegant and powerful as it has fewer number of lines of code.
- Ruby allows simple and fast creation of Web application which results in less hard work.
- As Ruby is free of charge that is Ruby is free to copy, use, modify, it allow programmers to make necessary changes as and when required.
- Ruby is a dynamic programming language due to which there is no tough rules on how to built in features and it is very close to spoken languages.
Disadvantages of Ruby:
- The code written in Ruby is harder to debug, since most of the time it generates at runtime, so it becomes difficult to read while debugging.
- Ruby is fairly new and has its own unique coding language which makes it difficult for the programmers to code in it right away but after some practice its easy to use. Many programmers prefer to stick to what they already know and can develop.
- Ruby is an interpreted scripting language, the scripting languages are usually slower than compiled languages therefore, Ruby is slower than many other languages.
- Ruby does not have a plenty of informational resources as compared to other programming languages.
- Ruby offers a great feature called Ruby on Rails (RoR). It is a web framework that is used by programmers to speed up the development process and save time.
- Ruby is used to create web applications of different sorts. It is one of the hot technology at present to create web applications.